vrijdag 2 november 2007

More thoughts from China

This blog comes in the form of a question. Let me ask you good folks something: Have we turned into Lemmings, ladies and gentlemen? I will explain.

To me, travel is all about exploration. That is why I hardly ever go to a place twice unless A) I have to be there for work or friends or B) I haven’t explored the place enough the first time around and there are still things for me to see. Exploration is a solitary action. This doesn’t mean you do it alone though, a group of explorers works just as good. You go out into the big world and have mad adventures! Dangerous ones too! Seriously, people need a little danger in their lives. It will remind you why you are alive in the first place. Exploration, ladies and gentlemen, is the practice of stepping out in the dark and experience new experiences. I’m sure you agree. So what in the name of all that is good and holy are all these people doing on organized tours??

When I was visiting the Ming Tombs in China, everywhere I looked I saw groups of people calmly following tour guides holding out a little flag on a little pole. Every one of the obedient followers donned a red hat. This is done so the shepherd with the flag can keep his flock of sheep together. Like drones they huddle after the little flag, taking in the rich Chinese culture in convenient bite-size chunks. This is not exploration!

Imagine what the world would have looked like if Columbus landed in the new world, and he would have simply followed the little flag, wearing a red hat. “Hello everyone, lets welcome to the group… Christopher. He’s from Italy, but got booked through a spanish travel agent. What do you do for a living Mr. Columbus”. “Oh I am an entrepreneur, I look for new real estate to develop, you know…”.. “Oh that’s nice. Ladies and gentlemen, today we will be visiting an authentic native American village. We will experience canoe-making and have our picture taken with a real Indian chief!! Afterwards you are able to visit the gift shop and buy your very own peace pipe… or tomahawk… depending on your intentions. Please don’t forget to tip, thank you!” Give me a break!

Travel = exploration… exploration = freedom… freedom = excitement… excitement = danger! These are the four basic equations of the travelling man or woman! If I catch another group of drones being dragged along the worlds largest ball of twine, I am going to grab that little flag and have those lemmings march straight into a deep ravine! Thank you.

Jeroen Breukels

Naymz Profile for Mr. Jeroen Breukels